Sunday, April 1, 2007

Fatin, Farith, Piesecki and the small world

You know the theory of six degrees of separation? It is said, that there chances are extremely high that you will establish some link with every 6th person you come across. Sure I believed it to some extent. When I'm in Pakistan. it's not surprising to know that someone you know, knows someone else, who knows someone else who knows you. But when that happens half way around the world, it tends to open your mind to a whole new level.

Here I was sitting on the train from Philadelphia to Radnor with Rafael (Philippines) and Fatin (Saudi Arabia) when we got talking about our backgrounds. Only namesake fellows until the time when you sit down and share a cup of Dunkin Donuts Ice Coffee on a train, I mentioned that I had lived in Saudi Arabia and promptly began to describe a dear friend of mine I had grown up with. Not wishing to invade her privacy, but suffice to say that this woman (this friend of mine) is perhaps the only Saudi Woman to have been sent to Oxford to complete her PhD. I said this much, when Fatin broke into a smile and yelled out her name. "You know her!!?? I know her too!!!" and there. The link had been established. A few moments later, it turned out that Fatin had regularly interacted with two cousins of mine, and I thought I would have a heart attack. Could the world really be that small? The answer to that question obviously doesn't end there...

The first evening I was there at the Doubletree Hotel in Philadelphia, I met with Farith (Malaysia) - Turned out I had interviewed Mr Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim a year earlier on his brief trip to Karachi - Mr Ibrahim was the ex-deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia until the problems in Malaysia broke out. Farith's father worked with Mr Ibrahim. Perhaps not as direct a link as with Fatin, but we had SOMEONE in common.

But the incident that almost pulled the floor from under my two pretty feet, was this one - At the Trustees Dinner, last week in Philadelphia, there would have been about a hundred people filling up that room. I met with people from all over, and then decided to turn around to meet a very dignified woman. Without paying attention to her name, I shook her outstretched hand and introduced myself. When she introduced herself, I focused on her name tag and asked her if she knew of a Nicole Piaeseki. "Why yes! She is my daughter!" I couldn't help but laugh and then said, "I don't believe this..." I had interviewed Ms Nicole Piaeseki during the MAP Conference in Karachi, Pakistan as the VP Marketing of Boeing, as a leader and one of the team of people who helped to turn Boeing around.. I had met with her, chatted with her and caught her interview on tape and made it a part of my Image Building video. Do you see the reason I am so excited?

The moral of this brief bloggy (a blog-story) is simple: there is someone out there who knows you... or has a link to you. I disagree with Thomas Friedman's title "The World is Flat" - I believe that the world is just tight, small and deep. The deeper you dig and explore, the more links and commonalities you find.

More later!

1 comment:

EvaForeva said...

I couldn't help but laugh out loud in the office, people thought I was crazy. I love this one especially more. Will continue reading.
Jenya